Sad days for some lie ahead, and relief will ease the sweat of still more, but there will be nearly no one in full agreement with the decisions that television networks are making for 2009-2010 season.
First, the good news; these shows have been promised a home next season, if not a viewership. I've separated them by network and value categories. These aren't all of them, so if you're looking for a full list check out Ausiello's blog.
- Brothers & Sisters (season 4) ... Smart writing + WASPy cast = success.
- Dancing with the Stars (season 9) ... No shock there; this is surprisingly compelling, but only as good as its Stars' personalities. Most everyone else involved (judges, hosts, band) suck wind.
- Desperate Housewives (season 6) ... Argue all you want about its consistency, it remains thrilling at any speed.
- Lost (season 6) ... One more to go...
- Ugly Betty (season 4) ... Cute enough, right?
Dear God, Why
- The Bachelor (season 14!) ... It just goes to show that any dreck can follow the juggernaut that is Dancing With the Stars.
- Grey's Anatomy (season 6) ... The MDs have run their course. DNR.
- Scrubs (season 9) ... Medic, medic!
- In the Motherhood ... Cheryl Hines/Megan Mullally sitcom that no one watched, but should have. This was genuinely funny.
- Pushing Daisies ... Inventive, clever, and keeping the Broadway stars' offstage careers alive... sadly the pie shop has closed.
- Samantha Who? ... Fiercely likable cast; this one comes as a shock.
- Cupid ... An ill-conceived remake of a Jeremy Piven/Paula Marshall shoulda-been-a-hit. Lightning didn't strike even once, so why did they bother giving us a never-gonna?
- 24 ... Although, seriously, how do you not watch this on DVD? I can't wait a full week!
- American Idol (season 9) ... Trainwreck it may be, it's a fun set of rails.
- Bones (seasons 5 & 6) ... David Boreanaz is sexy. What's this show about again?
- Dollhouse (season 2) ... Didn't dig season 1 but even Buffy needed time to settle.
- The Simpsons (season 21) ... Finally, after a lackluster 4 or 5 seasons, it seems to be getting good again.
Dear God, Why
- 'Til Death (season 4) ... Please let us part.
- American Dad (season 5) ... I don't understand why people find an even more broad humor than Family Guy (which also got renewed, but I have no strong feelings about) has such an audience.
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ... Sniff. I'm sorry, I can't go on.
- King of the Hill ... Terminally unfunny series that went on a decade too long.
- Prison Break ... So did they get out?
- 30 Rock (season 4) ... There is life for Fey after Palin!
Dear God, Why
- Heroes (season 3) ... There has to be a reason this is so popular. Satan?
- Knight Rider ... I'm sorry, Knight Rider. You were lame and I hated you. And now you're gone. And I feel validated.
I Really Couldn't Give a Damn (Coming Back)
- The Amazing Race
- The Big Bang Theory
- Cold Case
- Criminal Minds
- CSI: Miami
- CSI: NY
- Ghost Whisperer
- How I Met Your Mother
- The Mentalist
I Really Couldn't Give a Damn (See Ya)
- Without a Trace
What Is Wrong With You, America
- Two and a Half Men (season 7)
- America's Next Top Model (cycle 13) ... I am so excited!
Again, check this if your favorite's not listed. And shoot me a comment why I should check out your show, because if I didn't have an opinion one way or the other about its fate, I probably haven't seen it. Sell me on it.