- Matt Giraud - "Let's Get It On" (Marvin Gaye)
- Kris Allen - "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" (Marvin Gaye)
- Scott MacIntyre - "You Can't Hurry Love" (The Supremes)
- Megan Joy - "For Once in My Life" (Stevie Wonder)
- Anoop Desai - "Ooo Baby Baby" (The Miracles)
- Michael Sarver - "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" (The Temptations)
- Lil Rounds - "(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave" (Martha and the Vandellas)
- Adam Lambert - "The Tracks of My Tears" (The Miracles)
- Danny Gokey - "Get Ready" (The Temptations)
- Allison Iraheta - "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" (The Temptations)
Motown. Sorta. Not all of these songs were literally Motown (which is not just a style but a literal concept of an artist recording a specific song on the specific Motown label) but they fit the style well enough. Just not everyone sang very well. Their mentor was Smokey Robinson who visibly suffered these fools.
Michael Sarver, who performed a capable but not very interesting version of "Ain't Too Proud to Beg." He was never really Top 13 material, so it was just a matter of til he was whittled down to.
"Ain't Too Proud to Beg": C-
Should've Gone Home:
Michael's a reasonable pick. Anoop was disarmingly bad, and Danny Gokey was actually pretty embarassing up there.
"Ooo Baby Baby": D
"Get Ready": C-
How Was Everyone Else?
There was some dumb stuff happening. "Let's Get It On" came out creepy and forced from Matt who doesn't seem able to be sexy but is convinced he can (Kara and Paula aren't helping). What a random selection from Scott, who brought back memories of Phil Collins (Bastard). Megan got a huge bad response for her number, but I actually truly loved it. I thought it was perfectly suited to her. Allison rocked out "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" as if it was her E! True Hollywood Story. Adam Lambert made an effective take on "Tracks of My Tears" which wowed the audience and the judges but left me strangely hollow. Yes, it was a tremendous change of page, but... well, it was ok for what it was, but it wasn't all that. I still don't know if he's awesome or awful. Lil Rounds chose a good song with "Heat Wave" but got no love from the judges. They've started to really turn on her. Admittedly, she seems to be struggling to fit in each week, but this shouldn't have been a tough week for her. Kris Allen unfortunately chose a song that I just don't like, but he was so cute I'll let it pass.
"Let's Get It On": D-
"You Can't Hurry Love": D
"For Once In My Life": B+
"Papa Was a Rollin' Stone": B+
"Tracks of My Years": B-
"(Love is Like a) Heat Wave": B
"How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You": C